Monday, August 20, 2012

Eating Out

This summer I ate out quite a bit. Below, I will share my experiences. 


EATING OUT

The Olive Garden

  • They have a gluten free menu. but BEWARE THE GLUTEN FREE PASTA. It tastes like glass / carpet pasta. It's absolutely terrible. I'm not a big fan of their menu. Supposedly you can get the apricot chicken unseasoned and it's gluten free but it isn't on the menu. I went back several times and just got unlimited salad without croutons. I love their salad and salad dressing. 


Jason's Deli

  • OMGOMGOMGOMG THEY CARRY GLUTEN FREE BREAD. So you can have like....any sandwich on the gluten free bread. Plus they have all the fruit options and that is naturally gluten free. and the fruit dip is safe. The ability to have a sandwich again was wondrous. If you eat in, you can even get ice cream :)
  • Supposedly, the fruit dip isn't safe? I read somewhere it makes someone sick, but I've never had problems. Also, there is a big cross contamination problem here....so beware.

Chili's 
  • They have quite a nice menu for gluten free. The soup is fantastic. and their unseasoned classic sirloin is delicious

Jack in the Box
  • Jack in the Box is definitely not allergen friendly based on the ingredient info menu thing they give. But I actually talked with a girl who had celiac disease and she said that she could eat the tacos from here. They are not labeled gluten free as far as I can tell, but I ate them quite a bit this summer and I never had problems!

Chick Fil A
  • The only place I can eat the fries at that is convenient! You can also get grilled nuggets. They are kind of pathetic looking, but filling ish. They do have some fat on them you need to pick off. and OMG the lemonade...I have never paid so much for a gallon of lemonade in my life, but it was SO WORTH IT.
  • Also, I got eggs, cheese, and bacon here (just ask for the items together as a side. The person was confused but made it in a little bowl for me) and hash browns. All very delicious. Best fast food eggs I've eaten.

Dominos
  • The only pizza chain with gluten free pizza so far. There is a lot of dispute about this. It is not safe for Celiacs because of cross contamination and sketchy for gluten intolerants. It probably varies per store location. I have a gluten intolerant friend and he has never had trouble with them. I had it once, but I couldn't tell if I got sick from that or something else since I ate several new things that day. This needs more experimenting.
  • UPDATE: I had it again. The first piece, second piece tastes pretty dang good, and then the rest just makes you feel disgusted. I ate it all and didn't get sick, but you feel nasty and disgusted. Or at least I did. I won't be getting it again. It's expensive anyway.

Johnny Carinos
  • The gluten free menu has some great options on it. I would definitely suggest it. Unfortunately for me, since I still cannot have black pepper, I was limited to just two items: the Jalapeno Garlic Tilapia (no flour on fish and sub veggies instead of pasta) and the wedge salad with balsamic vinegar. I must say, I hate balsamic vinegar, but whatever they use is really good!! 

Carrabba's
  • Absolutely delicious food. On the more expensive side, but I went there with my boyfriend for our one year anniversary :) I got the grilled chicken with no grill paste and the chicken soup without pasta. That soup was soooo good!
BWW
  • Ok, FYI, their queso is disgusting and their salsa is ok, but their tortilla chips suck. Last time I went I got pulled pork, unseasoned, and it was pretty good. It had a little fat on it though. I also got buffalo chips with salt and vinegar, and I love those. 
Froyoyo
One of the few frozen yogurt places I can go to. All of the "Only 8" flavors are safe. as for toppings, I normally get marshmallows and sprinkles, I can't speak for whatever else is there. 

Yogurtland
  • I emailed them about gluten and soy free and got this response: 
  • Blood Orange Tart
  • Dutch Chocolate
  • Fresh Strawberry
  • Juicy Peach Tart
  • Mango Pina Colada
  • NY Cheesecake
  • Pecan & Pralines (No Sugar Added)
  • Pistachio
  • Plain Tart
  • Raspberry Tart
  • Red Velvet
  • Salted Caramel Pecan
  • S'mores
  • Strawberry Lemonade Sorbet 
  • Taro
  • Toasted Coconut
  • ALL of which are both gluten & soy free
  • ------OK, I had the Salted Caramel Pecan and S'mores at my local Yogurtland - SO GOOD. NOM NOM NOM. And it didn't make me sick :)
Wendy's
  • Great baked potatoes
McDonald's 
  • You can read up about their "gluten free," and you'll see the dispute on whether the fries are gluten free or not, but I'll tell you I just had them two days in a row and I didn't get sick. It might be a per location thing though, or a per time. Who knows. Eat at your own risk. I've also had the berry smoothie and scrambled eggs without a problem. 

Jimmy Johns
  • Tell them you are gluten free and get something in a lettuce wrap. I found that I loved these on my super restricted diet, but when I started re-introducing stuff, they kind of just grossed me out.

Subway
  • SOME of their chain locations have gluten free buns. and only SOME of those know what to do with them. I had one at one location and it was a disgusting brick. I had another at another location and it was a softer, edible, pretty darn good bun. (it's like a hamburger bun)

Texas Land and Cattle
  • Pretty good menu and good food. On the more expensive side

Texas Roadhouse
  • Withdrew their Gluten free menu. I wouldn't go. I've gotten sick there multiple times. 

Outback Steakhouse
  • I have gotten the GF Alice Springs Chicken without seasoning with the loaded baked potato instead of fries everytime I've gone. It's very good, but make sure you say no seasoning! Each time I forgot I got sick.  They have a very large gluten free menu.

Abuelo's 
  • They have a decent menu. Their chips and salsa are the best.  I've gotten the pork tenderloin fajitas with no seasoning in a lettuce wrap, but it doesn't seem like they are very good about leaving off the seasoning or they don't care. It has made me sick before. It's tasty, but I don't like it anymore. I have gotten the Salmon Santa Cruz a lot. I'm not a big fish fan, but you learn to appreciate it and I've always been safe eating it. Also, they don't have the mexican rice on the GF menu, but I've gotten it each time and it has never made me sick. The flan is also very tasty :)

Sonic
  • I've gotten one of their hamburgers without the bun before and been fine. Don't know if it's considered GF. 

Whataburger
  • I got one of their chicken things without the bun and it made me sick.






















No comments:

Post a Comment