Sunday, September 23, 2012

Week 3 of school & Aggie Ring

For reference here, I'm talking about the week of September 10-14th.
I'll skip straight to that Friday. 
OMG AGGIE RING!!!!!!!!
There are college rings, and then, then, there are Aggie Rings. 
Trust me, there is a difference. Here is some info on the Aggie Ring Tradition. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ring worn by all Aggie graduates is the same except for the class year. This serves as a common link for former students. When an Aggie sees the ring on another Aggie's hand, a spontaneous reunion occurs.
The Aggie Ring is one of the most symbolic of our traditions. Everything seen on the ring represents a value that an Aggie should hold. On the top is a large shield, which symbolizes the desire to protect the reputation of the university. The 13 stripes on the shield represent the 13 original states of America. The five stars on the shield refer to the phases of development of any Aggie: mind or intellect; body; spiritual attainment; emotional poise; and integrity of character. The eagle symbolizes agility and power, and the ability to reach great heights.

The large star on the side of the ring symbolizes the Seal of Texas. The five-pointed star is encircled with a wreath of olive and laurel leaves symbolizing achievement and a desire for peace. The live oak leaves symbolize the strength to fight for our country and our state. The leaves are joined at the bottom by an encircling ribbon to show the necessity of joining these two traits to accomplish one's ambition to serve.

An ancient cannon, a saber, and a rifle are on the other side of the ring and symbolize how citizens of Texas fought for their land and are determined to defend it. The saber stands for valor and confidence, while the rifle and cannon stand for a preparedness and defense. The crossed flags of the United States and Texas recognize an Aggie's dual allegiance to both nation and state.



--------------------------------------------------------------------
This is right after we got our rings together!!


Gig 'em!

awwwww our rings :)



 The above is the picture from our Ring Dunk and my Ring Dunk Pitcher. This is an unofficial Aggie Tradition, but nonetheless an important tradition that is followed. 
The idea of it, is that you put your ring in the pitcher and fill the pitcher with beer and then chug the thing until you get the ring, thus your Ring Dunk. 
You can dunk in different beverages, but beer is the most common of course, and due to peer pressure, what every guy dunks in. 

I dunked in Spring Water, like a friggin bawwwsssss. Man, though, that stuff is thick! I seriously didn't know if I'd finish it lol. But I made it through! I also didn't put my ring in my pitcher because I already have a chipped tooth, the idea creeps me out, and I didn't want to accidentally choke or something. Besides no one noticed, they were too busy watching everyone else to see when they would throw up. Because you either throw up, get horribly sick, or you are completely drunk for the rest of the night. 

I'd say 95% throw up.

In the picture above, the dunkers had: 
Bud Select 55, Bud Select 55, Spring Water! unknown beer, unknown beer, Smirnoffs
threw up, didn't, didn't, threw up, threw up, didn't.

Guess we were about 50% that night. But I had water. so 60% threw up? I don't know why I always bring out statistics lol. 

LOOK AT THIS BEAUTIFUL RING:


windfaoiwjefgoindgfnad beautiful. 
UNFORTUNATELY, it was too big. I had to take it in to get resized and I won't get it back for a few weeks :(((((
Better than losing it though. I had gotten a 5.5 but it kept falling off, so I'm getting it resized to a 5.25.

After the ring dunk we went to northgate for a bit, but didn't stay too long. 

That week was also Autocross, so I went with Jonathan. 

Man. I cannot express how much I want to autocross so badly. It almost hurts lol. It's like being in a room full of amazing cameras and not being able to push any of the buttons, just watching everyone else use them. Jonathan offered to let me run in his car, buttttttttt, I don't know. I don't like using other people's expensive belongings. Plus I haven't driven a manual since February. AND it's is most highly prized possession that he has put thousands of dollars of work into. It doesn't exactly put me in a comfortable position. 

ANYWAY, I took pictures with my slow zoom lens. (it's a sigma 50-200 f/4-5.6, but man, is it one slow lens in low light aka no sun/clouds) I was seriously waiting like 3-4 seconds between each shot. It was agonizing. I was also experimenting with full manual. 

Ended up going around :

ISO 200
1/100 sec
f/13


That's all I can remember from SENIOR YEAR: WEEK 3. CAPTAINS LOG COMPLETE.

Valediction.
Name.

No comments:

Post a Comment