Monday, April 16, 2012

Grandma's Eggplant Casserole!

For some reason, I have really been wanting eggplant casserole, for weeks now. And now that I have finally discovered a non-dairy/soy/corn cheese (Daiya) I thought I'd make it today! I had most of the ingredients anyway and needed to use them before they went bad. 


I got the recipe from my grandma: 


Grandma's Eggplant Casserole: 

1 medium.size eggplant
1 onion
1 tsp garlic powder
1 medium bell pepper
2 stalks celery
1 pinch salt


1/2 tsp sage or poultry season
1/2 tsp italian season if you have it.
1 egg
Breadcrumbs
Sprinkle of cayenne pepper
1 1/3 Cup grated cheddar Daiya non-dairy cheese


Peel and cut up eggplant, onion, bell pepper, and celery.
Put this in a pot with garlic powder and a pinch of salt. Fill to top of ingredients with water and boil until soft.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Drain water, put in a bowl and mash mixture up.
Add the egg, breadcrumbs, poultry seasoning/sage, Italian seasoning, a sprinkle of cayenne pepper and cheese. Mix up.
Put all this in greased casserole dish, cover with foil and cook for 40 min at 400 degrees. Take off foil and sprinkle cheese on top and bake/broil for about 10 minutes.

-----------------------------
I didn't drain my mixture enough after boiling, so it was a little bit more juicy than I wanted the casserole to be. I wanted it to be more firm and stick together, but I didn't drain enough off (even after mashing).
I was also afraid of adding too much Daiya since I wasn't sure if it would alter the flavor in a bad way. Don't worry about it though! You can hardly tell it's different at all in mixtures like this. 



And then I had strawberries for dessert.


Also, I'd like to point out that I again cannot read food labels correctly. Remember the Gorilla Munch I was really excited about? IT HAS CORN. RIGHT THERE. IN THE INGREDIENT LIST. That's why I liked it so much. So no more gorilla munchies....



No comments:

Post a Comment